Thursday, June 14, 2007

Paintings from Watercolor Class - winter semester

Untitled - Water color 11x15

I love the idea of vines, they are very aesthetically appealing to me. I don’t like the vines in this painting but I love the background. I believe it was made with Azo yellow, Perment Rose, and Cobalt Blue (Same colors used in the light portion of the fog painting). Theses colors are very transparent. 6-9-07


Fog - Watercolor 14x22

I believe the light area was made with Azo yellow, Perment Rose, and Colbal Blue - I love this combination of pigments. The complexity of the dark region fascinates me, I hope to reproduce this style/effect in other paintings. 6-9-07

Octopus - 14x22

Another student was reminded of an octopus by this painting. Very quickly done. Alcohol was dripped on the wet paint. 6-9-07

Color and technique study – Watercolor on canvas paper

Alcohol was painted into wet paint –repels the paint leaving white. 6-9-07


Dancing Shoes – Watercolor - 14x22 (top)

Using transparent red, yellow and blue pigments. The photograph reference below is a much better piece of art in my opinion. 6-9-07

Reference Photo: Multipal long exposures (5secs x 4 or more exposures?) with external flash and colored plastic bowls. 6-9-07

Life and Death of Winter - 11x15

I really like the painted framing device.

Drawn to the Light – Watercolor 14x22

I wanted to do a orange/green painting, but this painting did not create the effect I was hoping for. I like the radial balance and the atmospheric perspective and the over all feeling of the painting, but the colors just aren’t exciting enough.

2 comments:

Stephanie L. said...

Your art is amazing, Mike.

~Stephanie

alina said...

i don't know why but this painting reminds me of the part in Bambi when the forest is on fire, has a very dramatic/somber feel to it. i like it!

Contributors