Friday, January 29, 2010

Blogging

So though I have a blog I don't really consider myself a blogger. I don't write much, I mostly just use it as a way to keep my family updated with pictures of the kids. I love to write though! I used to actually enjoy writing essays when I was in school (I know, weird huh?). I miss being in school, I love to learn. I'm not a great writer or anything, but I do enjoy putting my thoughts into words. There is something therapeutic about just sitting and typing whatever words and thoughts that come to mind. So I thought I would give this a try.

As I spend yet another overcast day here in the Northwest I thought about how truly spoiled I am! I have never thought of myself as spoiled. I think my parents raised me with a good work ethic. We never had a lot of money when I was growing up. I got a job when I was 15 and started buying my own things as much as I could to help out. I worked my way through college with the only help from my family being the free rent from living at home. I didn't even take out a student loan until after I received my BA and started my student teaching program. So I'm not really spoiled in that sense. But being raised in a place like San Diego can really ruin a person for any other climate!

I never realized how great San Diego is until I left it. I never appreciated the sunshine like I do now! There is so much I miss about Southern California and I really hope we can move back one day. I often wonder how other young mothers deal with raising young children in Oregon. I feel like there is nothing to do. It is hard for me to compare to my childhood when I could walk or ride my bike to the park practically everyday. I spent so much more time outdoors than my children do. When we had a rainy day it was actually fun and special in its own way. We would drink hot chocolate, build forts, play games, or just quietly read books while listening to the rain. But what do you do when it rains everyday?!

We don't have the money for all the indoor play places...and do I really want my kids shut in such tight quarters with all the sick kids anyway? Sometimes I feel like I'm going to go crazy! This year is a little easier since we are doing the preschool co-op and we are out of the cold, mice-infested house we were in last year. But there is still so much time where we are just stuck at home. Especially since our second car is not running too well and more often than not Mike takes the good car to work.

I didn't mean for this to be such a negative post. Life really is good! I have a wonderful husband -we just celebrated our 6th anniversary, and 2 sweet boys. I love that I get to laugh everday. My children are SO FUNNY! I am so grateful that Mike has a job that he loves now and that we have health insurance. I look forward to when he finally gets full-time hours and we can start saving for a house. I am almost 30 and sick of apartment living! I would love to hear what other Oregon mothers do to relieve the monotony of raising young children in the rainy Northwest...or maybe it's just me? Maybe I'm just spoiled from spending so many years in the sunshine.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

I HEAR YOU!!! I truly DISLIKE it too!! I miss So. Cal!! I really do run out of ideas for things my kids can do other than making one mess after another. And Dan is always gone. Sigh.

Julie said...

I know what you mean. But when the kids are really little, everything is fun to them. On cold/rainy days, besides playdates, my kids loved the awesome library (that I miss) in OK (the one here in TX is okay), going to Barnes and Noble to play with the noisey books and train table, going to sports stores to play on the exercise equipment, playing with the toys at any store, going to the mall where they have indoor play areas, and Burger King/Chick-fil-a/McDonalds indoor play areas. We still do those things but my 8-yr-old is outgrowing them. Check out other places to see if they have free days -- the Children's museum here has a free night every 3rd Thursday, and some art museums (which my kids hate) have free days once a month. You might have to dig, but there are free places off-the-beaten-path, like the Toilet Seat Museum here. (Really!)Oh, and if you live near a college, you can stop in at the institute and let the kids play with the pool table/ping pong. My kids used to love that.

alina said...

i feel a little guilty for leaving you guys behind, and leading you to Oregon in the 1st place! San Diego really is the ideal place to raise kids, i wouldn't trade my California childhood for anything! as far as what to do in Oregon, i would suggest play dates, friends and there "new" toys are always fun rain or shine. also invest in bulk hot cocoa and a good snuggle chair :)some of the best OR memories i have with my kids are snuggling in our rocker and reading books together. we baked alot of cookies too... :)

Anonymous said...

Growing up in both AZ and OR, I really can say I loved both. AZ had the great, year-round-park weather; OR had the easy, unfettered access to the vast countryside.

Can't say I have ever liked CA though :) But, I have few fond memories there, and as an adult I just can't fathom the abysmal political representation. I guess I can see how growing up there might shape those perceptions differently.

Contributors