Tuesday, March 23, 2010

It Don't Mean a Thing if it Ain't Got That Swing!!

Mike and I love to swing dance. We both started in high school and had been dancing for a several years before we even met. Our first date was swing dancing at the Viscount in downtown Portland. We do mostly the lindy hop and east coast swing. In college I went salsa dancing a few times and learned a few other latin dances, but most of my experience is with swing.

Though we don't get to dance as often as we would like with two young kids at home, we still dance every chance we get. A few weeks ago we did a little performance for 2 different wards' enrichment nights. One of those evenings had another dance group performing as well. They were called the Quatama Cloggers and were amazing! It looked like so much fun! As we were leaving we saw several members in the hallway. They all expressed an interest in swing (and were wishing their husbands would dance with them) and I told them how much fun their dancing looked. They explained that they are a group of moms who enjoy clogging. They meet at a church building monday mornings to practice and do performances throughout the area. Then they invited me to join their beginning class!

I've been twice now and it is so much fun! The kids play in the nursery while we practice next door in the primary room. I'm so glad I found a new hobby. It is great exercise and a lot of fun. I do not have a lot of dance experience besides swing and very little experience with doing a routine, but I really enjoyed it. I've been really bad about exercising lately (I have such a hard time getting motivated when it is so rainy and gloomy all the time) so I am hoping that between this and the swing group we are hoping to start that I will get in better shape.

http://www.quatamacloggers.com/home

1 comment:

Julie said...

Oh I am so jealous!

Contributors